From: Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 06:35:05 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Oddest NT Study/Mack's _Lost Gospel_

I have not yet read Mack's _Lost Gospel_ as yet, although it lies on my
desk in my office. I have, however, read his _A Myth of Innocence_, which
purports to give an account of the Gospel of Mark. For my money it will
account as the oddest serious discussion of the NT I have ever read. He is
already setting forth there the account of Q that he apparently sets forth
more fully in the more recent book which was discussed here yesterday. The
thesis is ostensibly plausible but there is no real evidence offered, and
the fabric of the entire book (I refer to _Myth of Innocence_) is a curious
tissue of unsupported hypotheses woven together to achieve a fantastic
super-hypothesis of Christian origins.

I am less skeptical than Larry Hurtado of Kloppenborg's work on Q, but I
think he characterizes it rightly as an attempt to discern earlier and
later strata in the Q texts rather than to write an account of Christian
origins. I more recent work of the same nature that I think is worth
reading is Arland Jacobson's, the title of which escapes me. I think that
Kloppenborg and Jacobson are well aware that, however serious they are,
their conclusions can only be tentative, although I don't know that either
would characterize his work as did Raymond Brown in _Community of the
Beloved Disciple_, with words to the effect, more or less, "I should be
happy if 60% of what I have written may turn out to be true."

(314) 935-4018