From: Apokrisis@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 01:54:43 -0400

unsubscribe b-greek

------------------------------

From: Greg Doudna <gdoudna@ednet1.osl.or.gov>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 00:38:36 -0700
Subject: Re: Apoc. Lit.

I have been following this discussion of apocalyptic and genre
of Revelation with much interest.  One question I have concerns
the meaning of the instruction to John to "seal the words of
the prophecy of this book, because the time is near" (Rev 22:10).
Does this mean the book was to be sealed so no one could read
it?  Obviously someone broke the seal--or else it would not be
in the canon for someone to read!  The language sounds similar to
language used in pseudepigraphic works allegedly written long
before the time of their recent discovery (e.g. Dan 12:4) but
that does not seem to be the case here.

Greg Doudna
West Linn, Oregon

- --