From: Pat Tiller <ptiller@husc.harvard.edu>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 1995 13:31:15 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Apocalyptic literature

On Wed, 28 Jun 1995, Shaughn Daniel wrote:

> Pat Tiller wrote:
> >According to Shaughn Daniel's citation and translation of Der Kleine
> >Pauly, (June 28, 1995), "Apoc. originated in Christianity above all with
> >sects and gnostics."  I doubt if there is much evidence for this.
>
> Original German sentence:
> >>A. enstanden sich im Christentum vor allem bei Sekten und Gnostikern.
>
> Pat,
>
> It could be the translation that is getting in the way of things here.

Possibly so, but the problem is not with sich entstehen or with bei, but
with Sekten.

My impression is that Der Kleine Pauly thinks that most early Christian
Apocalyptic literature was composed withing sectarian or gnostic groups.
Some people might think that Christianity itself originiated as a Jewish
sect.  Hence all Christian literature (of the 1st century or so) is
sectarian.  But I don't think that is what der KP means.  It is possible
that the earliest Gnostic apocalypses were not Christian: Apocalypse of
Adam, Allogenes (date?), and that Christian Gnostic apocalypses came after
the use of the apocalyptic genre in non-gnostic Christian circles.
Certainly there are lots of relatively early Christian Gnostic
apocalypses--I don't really object much to that part of der KP's
statement.  The real problem is in demonstrating that Rev, Shepherd of
Hermas, Ascension of Isaiah 6-11, and the Apocalypse of Peter (not the Nag
Hammadi apoc) have sectarian origins. How would one establish that their
authors belonged to Christian sectarian groups, while other contemporary
Christian groups were not sectarian?

> 1. Regardless of the translation, which is more true FOR Christianity?
>    a) the majority of apocalyptic literature originated/arose after Rev
>    b) the majority of apocalyptic literature originate/arise before Rev

The majority of all Christian literature arose after Rev, so (a).

> 2. Which of the following is more true FOR Christianity?
>    a) the majority of apocalyptic literature originated/arose
>       within sects and gnostic groups
>    b) the majority of apocalyptic literature originated/arose
>       before sects and gnostic groups

What about "(c) outside of already-existing sects (whatever "sect" may
refer to) and gnostic groups"?

> 3. Therefore, which of the following is more true?
>   a) the majority of apocalyptic literature arose within Christianity
>      primarily from sects and gnostic groups
>   b) the majority of apocalyptic literature did not arise within Christianity
>      primarily from sects and gnostic groups

I still don't know how to answer this one.

Are we assuming some kind of time frame?  1st 3 centuries, maybe, or are
we including all of Christian history?  How do we understand "sect"?

Pat Tiller
Harvard Divinity School