From: Clint Cozier <ccozier@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 1995 05:19:51 +0000
Subject: Reply-to: ccozier@ix.netcom.com

subscribe ccozier@ix.netcom.com

------------------------------

From: Pat Tiller <ptiller@husc.harvard.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 1995 10:47:09 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Apocalyptic literature

On Mon, 3 Jul 1995, Shaughn Daniel wrote:

> I've taken some time to look through my library for information concerning
> the various apocalypses of early christianity. Unfortunately, my sources
> don't seem to be that interested in dating the documents.

It is difficult to date many of the early Christian apocalypses, and
there is usually no agreement.  Often there may be early apocalyptic
sources used by later apocalypses.  It is just as difficult to establish
a social setting for most of the apocalypses.  As I said, it would be
difficult to establish that Christian apocalyptic arose primarily within
sects and gnostic groups.  The fact is that we don't know, and we won't
know until all of the early apocalypses are carefully studied.  Even then
we might not know.

Pat Tiller
Harvard Divinity School