From: EasyGrk@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 08:52:54 -0400
Subject: subscribe

subscribe

------------------------------

From: Vincent Broman <broman@np.nosc.mil>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 95 09:23:17 PDT
Subject: Swanson's apparatus of Matthew

There is a fairly impressive textual apparatus of Matthew I've just
obtained a copy of.

    ed. Swanson, Reuben J, "New Testament Greek Manuscripts:
    Variant Readings arranged in Horizontal Lines against
    Codex Vaticanus", Pt. I Matthew, Preliminary Printing,
    William Carey International Univ., Pasadena, 1994.

It was recommended by Maurice Robinson, who has used it to teach
text criticism in college.  The book is based on complete collations
of about 40 important MSS in Matthew, with footnotes for every
spelling variant, nomina sacra, kephaloi, colophons, eusebian canons, etc.
No versional data are presented and the only patristic citations are from
Clement of Alexandria.
This book and the IGNTP Luke are both good sources to study to get a feel
for the problems and resources of text criticism.

One thing I'm wondering about is whether anyone knows this Reuben Swanson
who might approach him personally about making some contribution of data
to the Electronic New Testament Manuscript Project.
His preface makes it sound like he has typed up all this material
on some computer, although he may have proprietary feelings about
making a profit from publishing his labors.

Vincent Broman,  code 572 Bayside                        Email: broman@nosc.mil
Naval Command Control and Ocean Surveillance Center, RDT&E Div.
San Diego, CA  92152-6147,  USA                          Phone: +1 619 553 1641