[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

b-greek-digest V1 #787

b-greek-digest             Tuesday, 18 July 1995       Volume 01 : Number 787

In this issue:

        To: NT-GREEK@virginia.edu
        Re: Irenaeus and age of Jesus
        Re: the greek jesus
        Re: TON PLHSION SOU = TON EXQRON? (Lk 10:27; Mt 5:43-4
        Who Changed the Shema?
        Re: Irenaeus and age of Jesus
        Re: TON PLHSION SOU = TON EXQRON? (Lk 10:27; Mt 5:43-4
        Re: NT-Greek.arj
        Re: Irenaeus and age of Jesus
        Re: PARADOUNAI TW SATANA
        Re: Irenaeus and age of Jesus
        _Armageddon_

From: KDONFRIED@smith.smith.edu
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 08:32:30 -0500 (EST)
Subject: To: NT-GREEK@virginia.edu

POSTPONE GREEK-L MAIL POSTPONE

------------------------------

From: Tom Blake <tblake@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 09:40:48 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Irenaeus and age of Jesus

On Sat, 15 Jul 1995, Gregory Jordan (ENG) wrote:

> > The age of Jesus (as distinguished from the date of Jesus's
> > teaching or the dates of Paul) is of no historical
> > consequence that I can see.  But I do wonder why there is
> > such *certainty* over Luke's tradition of the age of Jesus.
>
> I can only mention two points that don't seem to have been mentioned.  If
> Jesus were older when baptized, it would be hard to explain why a person
> capable of such a controversial career should live in anonymity for most
> of his life.  ...

What if Jesus' character was dramatically affected when the Spirit
descended on him?  (Was the Spirit's descent only a sign to John? or did
Jesus become fundamentally different following his baptism?)

In the Synoptic Gospels, we are told that the Spirit led Jesus into the
desert for 40 days following his baptism.  This seems to me to be a
preparation for the ministry he was about to lead, a dramatic experience
heralding a dramatic change in his life.

						Tom Blake