From: George Chryssogelos <geo@prometheus.hol.gr>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 11:58:40 +0200 (GMT+0200)
Subject: [none]

POSTPONE GREEK-L MAIL POSTPONE

------------------------------

From: Ken Penner <kpenner@mail.unixg.ubc.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 06:14:25 -0800
Subject: Re: PARADOUNAI TW SATANA

On 17 Jul 95 at 20:48, Gregory Jordan (ENG) wrote:

> In Paul, Satan seems to play some sort of educational role -
> helping the person "handed over" eventually to be reconciled
> on God's terms.

Are you basing this view mainly on the stated purposes in these
two passages: hINA PAIDEUQWSIN MH BLASFHMEIN in 1Tim 1:20 and
hINA TO PNEUMA SWQHi EN THi hHMERAi TOU KURIOU in 1 Cor 5:5,
or are there other statements he made that also point in this
direction? 2Cor 12:7, maybe?

How does Satan in this case compare to the evil-seeming
AGGELOS THS TIMWRIAS who is really one of the "righteous
angels" in Hermas' Parable 6? Does Paul think Satan's job is "a
dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it," and he's actually a
good guy? That's not the impression I get from Paul.

> As far as I can see, it seemed to have involved a kind of
> temporary and optimistic disassociation.

When and how would reconciliation come about?

> I wonder if anyone knows of Jewish precedents for such a
> ritual.

You do see the "handing over" as a ritual, then? Would there
have been some sort of formal declaration in the presence of
witnesses? Is there enough evidence available to bring us
beyond speculation?

Ken Penner
Regent College, Vancouver

kpenner@unixg.ubc.ca