[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

b-greek-digest V1 #789

b-greek-digest            Wednesday, 19 July 1995      Volume 01 : Number 789

In this issue:

        [none]
        TEXTUAL CRITICISM
        Re: Textual Criticism
        Re: Textual Criticism
        re: Re: Textual Criticism
        Re: BG: PRWTH as "earlier" in Luke 2:2
        Re: Re: Textual Criticism
        Re: Great Commission ??
        Slightly off topic
        Re: Re: Textual Criticism
        Re: Re: Textual Criticism
        Re: Great Commission ??
        Re: BG: PRWTH as "earlier" in Luke 2:2
        re: Re: re: Languages of Jesus
        Re: Date of Last Supper
        Languages of Jesus
        Re: Irenaeus on Valentinians
        Re: Irenaeus and age of Jesus
        Re: Languages of Jesus

From: George Chryssogelos <geo@prometheus.hol.gr>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 09:54:46 +0200
Subject: [none]

POSTPONE GREEK-L MAIL POSTPONE

------------------------------

From: DC PARKER <PARKERDC@m4-arts.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 09:42:50 GMT
Subject: TEXTUAL CRITICISM

On 18 July, Benny asked about the comparative merits of
Westcott-Hort and TR.

Their comparison is nothing so crass as a matter of age.  For
example, one of the most valuable witnesses to the text of Paul is
tenth century.

The TR is just a text that grew out of the materials that Erasmus had
to hand in Basel,which was subsequently modified by him and his
successors, and which through various chances was adopted by
most printers.  If the text of Colinaeus (1534) had received the
attention which it deserved and the good fortune which the TR didn't,
then we would only know the latter as an honourable failure of the
Renaissance.  You can find out what you need to know about the
development of the TR from the 4th ed. of Scrivener's Plain
Introduction to the Crit. of the NT.

WH gives, broadly speaking, the text of Sin. and Vat. of the 4th cent.
Older MSS have been found since then.  The task in recent years has
been to interpret the new data.  If you want to see how this is done,
then I suggest that you read G. Zuntz, The Text of the Epistles (The
Schweich Lectures 1946; London, The British Academy, 1953) and
C.M. Martini, Il Problema della recensionalita del codice B alla luce
del papiro Bodmer XIV (AnBib 26; Rome, 1966).  You should also read
J.N. Birdsall's survey of modern text. crit. in ANRW Teil II (Principat),
26.1, 99-197.

I don't know what you have been reading, but it has given you a
wrong view of the available options.  I certainly don't know what
you've been told about the 'characters' of Westcott and Hort.  I've
never come across any evidence to suggest that they weren't
orthodox in belief and upright in character (except that Hort in his
younger days at least worried abou the value of the Quicunque vult,
for which I hope you will pardon him).