        Date of Wavesheaf/Resurrection
        Re: Re: Textual Criticism
        Re: Languages of Jesus
        Long Post on Ceremonial and Practical Days
        Re: PARADOUNAI TW SATANA
        Re: Textual Criticism
        G.B.Caird, Lang. & Imagery of Bible
        lang. of Jesus
        re: Re: Languages of Jesus

From: Kenneth Litwak <kenneth@sybase.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 95 13:22:54 PDT
Subject: re: Re:  Languages of Jesus

   I just want to make one comment on whether Jesus originally spoke
in Hebrew/Aramaic/etc.  It seems to me that multiple scholars have come
up with alternative rendering of the hypothetical original for something
in the canonical Gospels.  If there are multiple possibilities proposed,
that might suggest that such an effort, to go backwards, may not be
very helpful in showing anything except the facility of the scholar
in Hebrew/Aramaic/etc.  Indeed, anyone who has tried literal translation
of Greek into English I think soon realizes that exact correspondece
is not readily possible, and I have doubts about the ability to go
from Greek back to Hebrew or Aramaic just as much as I would doubt the
ability to go from the NASB (a fairly literal translation, as English
translations go) back to the Greek.  Comments?

Ken Litwak
Emeryville, CA