From: palmer@387net.texas.net
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 95 01:49:52 CDT
Subject: [none]

Subject: Christ-hymn in Col 1:16-20

I've received the following request for information from a friend who has had
to go off-list for the summer. Any help, insights or bibliography would be
appreciated:

>Anyone here either done, or downloaded, a good, in-depth study of
>Colossians 1:18-20?  I'm especially interested in verse 20, cross-studies
>in other passages, etc.  Also, anyone know of any studies on the idea that
>verses 15 through 20 are a fragment of an ancient hymn?  I'd like to see
>what's out there.  Thanks.

I have pointed him to a Festschrift mentioned by Bultmann (_Theology of the New
Testament_ Part I, pg 176):

        A Christ-hymn underlies 1 Pet. 3:18-22 (as is the case of
        Col 1:15-20)... on Col 11:15-20 see E. Kasemann, _Bultmann-
        Festschrift_ (1949), 133-148.

This seems a tad dated -- but it's all I could find with what little resources
I have right now.

   _       Doug Palmer                     |"I believe in Christianity as I
 _| ~-     Internet:    palmer@texas.net   | believe that the sun has risen,
 \,  _}    CourtNews:   palmer@jud.fed.us  | not only because I see it, but
   \(      Fidonet:     1:387/31 (1:387/0) | because by it, I see all else."