Re: Inerrancy discussion

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 08 1995 - 09:13:55 EST

If I may inject what I wish but can hardly hope might be a last
"theological" comment on this whole business, I think injecting the issue
into discussion was the work of the Devil--no matter WHAT one understands
that assertion to mean. It was mischief; it has served to fuel a flame war
that some have found much more interesting than Greek questions. And now it
has evoked the sort of sarcasm on autographs more likely to fuel "autos da
fe." There has to be some mutual respect here if there's to be discussion.
Else we'll all be in the coffin carried by the students in Browning's
"Grammarian's Funeral":

        So, with the throttling hands of death at strife,
                Ground he at grammar;
        Still, thor' the rattle, parts of speech were rife:
                While he could stammer
        He settled hOTI's business--let it be!--
                Properly based OUN--
        Gave us the doctrine of the enclitic DE,
                Dead from the waist down ...

Is anyone for Greek?

(314) 935-4018