IEph inscr help please

From: Kenneth Litwak (kenneth@sybase.com)
Date: Thu Jan 18 1996 - 07:21:25 EST

    I have looked through all the resources I have (GTU's library is on
short hours in January and I can't get there) and made several educated
guesses for what to look up iin BAGD, but I still can't seem to figuure out
what (HNWMENH in IEph inscr. comes from. I looked under ANO- words,
and ENO- words and ANW- words, etc. etc. Can someone please tell me
what this is from? Go ahead and reply off-line. I doubt anyone else cares that
I'm having parsing problems. ems.

    I would reply briefly to Edgar Krentz's note to me and say that I don't think
that all NT Greek is the same. There's clearly a difference between
1 John and 1 Peter. What I waas trying to suggest was that 1) The Postolic
Fathers use Greek which to me is harder relatively; and 2) one might
have expected the AP wwriters to try to follow NT styles just as NT writers
seemm to have been influenced by the LXX. I know that's ageneralization so it's
probably flase, but you know what I mean. I have heard many sermons
in my time (7 days til 40 -- yikes) and many of them have been heavily
colored by biblical terminology and idioms. One can debate the merits of
that culturally, but I would have expected the AP wwriters to follow
the NT writers, especially if the Ap writers came from communities which
received NT writings. Don't you think that if your Christian faith was
built arouund Paul's preaching and 1-4 Corinthians (the real 1-4, not
the pseudepigrapha) that if you wrrote a summary of the Christian faith
it might sound Pauline (you know, like Prisicilla did when writing hebrews,
according to one book I have seen)?

Ken Litwak
GTu
Bezerkley, CA

kenneth@sybase.com

P.S.,

    Well Robert Smith won't be teaching it, but Joel Green will be
teaching an Adv. Greek course a year from now on Hellenistic
Historians. Sounds really interesting but the Greek will
doubtless be a real killer.