Re: IEph inscr help please

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Mon Jan 22 1996 - 15:51:22 EST

When Kenneth Litwak enquired on this topic, one reply stated:

>hENOW can be found on p. 268, col. 1 in BAGD. It means to unite
>and is only found in the passive in our literature. Ignatius is
>keen on words meaning unity; you will find hENWSIS "unity" and
>hENOTHS "unison" too.

There are many, many citations -- three and a half columns -- on hENOW in
Lampe's Patristic Lexicon, in both act. and pass., and as early as Irenaeus.
There are sections on general, theological, Christological, and union of God
with creation. The largest is the Christological section.

Well worth a browse!

Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie