Subject: I Sam 1 questions

From: Timster132@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 30 1996 - 03:18:26 EST

Kenneth Litwak <kenneth@sybase.com> wrote on 26 Jan 1996 ...
<<First, on the KJV and Dt 6, I believe the word in question is PERIKUKLWi
(why it's dative I don't know). LSJM say it means "round about". That
sounds
like they borrowed this definition from the KJV, rather than offering an
actual definition. Even if they didn't, that's a gloss if I'ver ever seen
one.>>

Just to add a word to Carl Conrad's suggestions. Here's a case where you
need
to get a feel for how words work. While you can read the sentence literally
as "around a circle", look at the context for meaning.

<<Now, I've noticed in 1 Sam 1 that the translator often transliterates
divine titles, rather than translating them like KURION SABAWQ. I'm
wondering
if list members think the LXX in these cases whold similarly be
transliterated
(and this makes me doubt the Hebrew knowledge of the LXX translator, along
with other things he/she did) or whether it is preferable to render words
like ELWAI and SABAWQ with a real translation of the Hebrew word?>>

The transliterating of titles here is not surprising, since this translation
was made for Greek speaking Jews who were no doubt at least familiar with
some
Hebrew appellations for God. I think you'll find that the transliteration of
some
words as well as other Hebraisms (in certain places) tend to make you rather
wonder
if the translators of the LXX knew _Greek_ as well as they did Hebrew.

<<In 1 Sam 1:8, we read hINA TI. Dana and Mantey says this regularly
means "why?", though I think it could very reasonably be taken to mean
"what's the matter, so that you....". Would this be the geerally
accepted view, that it means "Why?" ? >>

Here again is another example of how you need to look beyond simple literal
sense and get a feel for how words work together. Just because English only
uses a single word for the interrogative 'why?', doesn't mean other languages
won't. Like the Spanish using "Por que", Greek uses 'INA TI.

Words are very flexible things, and that is what makes our work an art more
than a science.

Keep at it. It'll come.

Tim Staker, pastor
Poseyville Christian Church