Johannine-criticism, and Moody Smith

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@wellesley.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 14 1996 - 12:21:23 EDT

From: LUCY::EHOBBS "Edward Hobbs" 14-JUL-1996 11:20:12.45
To: IN%"F49ADAM@ptsmail.ptsem.edu"
CC: EHOBBS
Subj: RE: Johannine "Kompositionsgeschichte"

Subj: Johannine "Kompositionsgeschichte"

A.K.M.Adam wrote:

Carl, Warren, and list-members,

It was my privilege to study with the godfather of Johannine source- and
composition-criticism, D,
Moody Smith; his works on Johannine source criticism include *Johannine
Christianity* from
Uinversity of South Carolina Press and *John and the Synoptics* from Fortress.
 I did not follow his
footsteps, so I can't offer comments on the specifics of contrasting the German
 quest with the
modern quest, but Moody's work will necessarily enter into any such study.
Perhaps one of the
recent books on history-of-interpretation (like Baird's *History of New
Testament Research*, vol.
1, or Riches's *Century of NEw Testament Research*) could help.

Grace and peace,
 A K M Adam
f49adam@ptsmail.ptsem.edu
Princeton Theological Seminary

"To translate is human; to parse, divine"

Dear A.K.M. and Friends,

        I have long considered Dwight Moody Smith (who goes by "Moody") a
good friend, and I have also long admired his work on John. However, he is
far from being "the godfather of Johannine source- and composition-
criticism." He was at least 40 years late for that. His dissertation
(which became his first book in 1965) was a commentary on the true
"godfather" (if that is an appropriate word!) of the field, Rudolf Bultmann.
Meanwhile many, many scholars had been debating these issues, mostly in
Germany, but also elsewhere. (A short list, of a few dozen, may be found
in Kuemmel's _Intro_; but the full bibliography is enormous.)
        Again: I am extremely appreciative of Moody Smith's work, as I am
also of my almost-student Robert Fortna's impressive work (I arrived in
Berkeley a year too late to be his teacher, and he left the next year to
study at Union with Davies). The laborers are many; the planter was one.

Edward Hobbs
Wellesley