Questions on EIS

From: Leo Percer (PERCERL@baylor.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 25 1996 - 18:49:17 EDT

I have been following this thread on Luke 12:10 with some interest, but I
was prompted to respond when I read the following from Dave Haggard:

>I understand EIS to mean not only "against," but as often as not, "into" =
>or "unto" (which can be understood as connected with "against.")
 [stuff snipped]

Being naturally curious, I turned to my shelf and pulled down the 1979
edition of BAGD's _A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and other
early Christian Literature_ that I had handy. After a cursory glance at
the 3 page entry for EIS, I realized that I didn't see any instances of the
word "against" being a translation. The primary definitions include things
like "into, unto, in, to, for," etc. Did I overlook something here? I do
seem to remember hearing somewhere that EIS could have the meaning of
"against", but I can't seem to remember where I read or heard that. Are
there instances where EIS can legitmately be translated "against?"

Regards,

Leo Percer
PERCERL@BAYLOR.EDU
Waco, TX