Re: Questions on EIS

From: David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 1996 - 18:57:42 EDT

Leo Percer wrote:

> I have been following this thread on Luke 12:10 with some interest, but I
> was prompted to respond when I read the following from Dave Haggard:
>
> >I understand EIS to mean not only "against," but as often as not, "into" =
> >or "unto" (which can be understood as connected with "against.")
> [stuff snipped]
>
> Being naturally curious, I turned to my shelf and pulled down the 1979
> edition of BAGD's _A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and other
> early Christian Literature_ that I had handy. After a cursory glance at
> the 3 page entry for EIS, I realized that I didn't see any instances of the
> word "against" being a translation. The primary definitions include things
> like "into, unto, in, to, for," etc. Did I overlook something here? I do
> seem to remember hearing somewhere that EIS could have the meaning of
> "against", but I can't seem to remember where I read or heard that. Are
> there instances where EIS can legitmately be translated "against?"

        There is a section in the BAGD for the use of EIS "in a hostile
sense." The reference is s.v. EIS, 4:c:alpha. Besides instances from
the NT, it includes KAKOTECNEN EIS..., hAMARTANEIN EIS TINA, BLASFHMEIN
EIS TINA, and also the expression ADIKHMATA EIS....

--
David L. Moore                             Director
Miami, Florida, USA                        Department of Education