Re: Luke 12:10

From: Carlton L. Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Thu Jul 25 1996 - 07:39:52 EDT

James H. Vellenga responded to Jeffery W Grams writes (excerpted):

>> Luke 12:10

>> I would like to propose the following translation of the passage on the
>> basis of the greek text and the context of the passage...
>>
>> "And anyone who will speak a word to the Son of man, he will be forgiven,
>> but he who toward the Holy Spirit blasphemes, he will not be forgiven."
>>
>> I would like to understand the construction of EREI LOGON EIS TON UION
>> TOU ANTHROPOU in the sense of "to speak a word to" = "to confess"...

>> The strong advantage of this transation (to my mind) is that it not only
>> does not set up an opposition between the Son of Man and the Holy Spirit,
>> it also continues the flow of arguement that is seen in verses 8 & 9
>> where Jesus says plainly that if we confess him he will confess us, and
>> if we deny him he will deny us... Strangely enough, modern translations
>> tend to translate the EIS exclusively as "against" which does not fit
>> well into the context...

>I find this intriguing. Although I have to admit not having done a
>thorough study of EIS, is it possible even to translate EIS positively as
>"for" rather than "against":
>
> "And anyone who will speak a word for (in favor of) the Son of man
> ..."
1 Cor. 16:1 PERI THS LOGEIAS THS EIS TOUS hAGIOUS . . .
        "Concerning the offering for the saints . . .

Just because it can does not mean that it is. If a person speaks a word
for the S of M, why does he need forgiveness?

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La
winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net