Rom 9:16. . .

From: Tom Launder (ae298@lafn.org)
Date: Mon Jul 29 1996 - 18:24:51 EDT

Hello all,

In my study of Romans 9:14-18, I have encountered an interesting verse that
I am not clearly understanding. In 9:16 Paul uses three genitive participles:

"apa oun ou *tou Qelontes* oude *tou tpexontes* alla *tou elewntos* Qeou."

NKJV "So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God
who shows mercy."

NIV "It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire of effort, but on God's
mercy."

NASB "So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs,
but on God who has mercy."

In the translations there is an elliptical idea inserted (it is; does
depend) which is negated.

Thus I have a couple of questions in attempting to understand these
participles. My first thought is to understand these as the direct objects
of the elliptical verb. Am I right?

These are substantive participles which translators translate with "of . .
." Is there some genitive relationship that can be understood here?

The commentaries I consulted did not offer any help here. WBC Dunn says
"the genitive formulation is not specific and should be left vague in
translation." This is not too helpful. :)

Thanks,

Tom

I am not permitted to let my love be so merciful as to tolerate and endure
false doctrine. When faith and doctrine are concerned and endangered,
neither love nor patience are in order.
                Martin Luther