Re: Rom 9:16. . .

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 30 1996 - 18:09:34 EDT

At 2:12 PM -0400 7/29/96, Carlton L. Winbery wrote:
>Tom Launder wrote;
>
>>In my study of Romans 9:14-18, I have encountered an interesting verse that
>>I am not clearly understanding. In 9:16 Paul uses three genitive
>>participles:
>>
>>"ARA OUN OU *TOU QELONTOS* OUDE *TREXONTOS* ALLA *TOU ELEWNTOS* QEOU."
>>
>>NKJV "So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God
>>who shows mercy."
>>
>>NIV "It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire of effort, but on God's
>>mercy."
>>
>>NASB "So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs,
>>but on God who has mercy."
>>
>>In the translations there is an elliptical idea inserted (it is; does
>>depend) which is negated.
>>
>>Thus I have a couple of questions in attempting to understand these
>>participles. My first thought is to understand these as the direct objects
>>of the elliptical verb. Am I right?
>>
>>These are substantive participles which translators translate with "of . .
>>." Is there some genitive relationship that can be understood here?
>>
>>The commentaries I consulted did not offer any help here. WBC Dunn says
>>"the genitive formulation is not specific and should be left vague in
>>translation." This is not too helpful. :)
>>
>Tom, remember that the question in ch. 9 of Romans is about God's promises
>to Israel and his choosing. You are probably right that "It is . . ." is
>understood before each of the negative constructions and following the
>"but". The genitive case is used in each of the participles as a genitive
>of means (some prefer ablative of means, which is rare in the NT; normally
>the genitive is used with agency and the dative with means). So the
>meaning would be "It (God's choosing) is not by willing nor by running but
>by the mercy of God." The question remains as to who is not doing the
>willing or the running. Most translations assume that the willing of man
>or the running of man is being negated. That seems to me to be a safe
>assumption.

In Latin grammar we speak of a predicate genitive that is often used with
an infinitive; the genitive indicates the person or kind of person of whom
the behavior indicated by the infinitive is characteristic. I have no
reference works with me at hand, but I would understand the elliptical
construction of Rom 9:16 thus:

ARA OUN OU(K ESTI TO ELEIN) TOU QELONTOS (ANQRWPOU) OUDE TOU TREXONTOS
(ANQRWPOU) ALLA TOU ELEWNTOS QEOU.

And I'd give a "hyperliteral" translation thus: "So (ARA) being merciful is
NOT, ultimately (OUN), an attribute of the human being who wills nor of the
human being who runs, but rather of God who has mercy."

I would say too that what is negated is not the participles but the
implicit verb, ESTI(N).

(314) 935-4018