Re: Moderators Needed in B-Greek

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 31 1996 - 12:51:45 EDT

At 8:21 PM -0400 7/30/96, wes.williams@twcable.com wrote:
> Frankly, I think that Carl Conrad historically has done a fine job
> over the years minimizing non-greek related preaching on the list. I
> think the list has done well and we are mature enough to delete the
> few "preachy" items that come our way.
>
> However, it would be a loss to see b-greek degrade to the point of
> some forums where less tolerance is practiced.
>
> Since Carl has done a fine job and demonstrated his tolerance of the
> rest of us, I would like to see him in that role if he would accept
> it. Beyond that, I don't think we have a great crisis here to start
> debating the theological makeup of a "board."
>
> So, I nominate Carl and do not see the need for a board.

While I am very grateful for this personal vote o confidence from Wes, I
want to discourage any movement in the direction he suggests, for several
reasons. I do not wish to assume any such role (and least of all, as a
"lone ranger"); I have assumed the task at times over the past couple years
only for fear that discussion was already threatening or might very likely
turn into an inflammatory exchange between doctrinally-polarized parties or
that the list might become a forum for preaching and testimonial such as
the Statement of Purpose clearly indicates it was never intended to be.
Whenever I have had the occasion to inject a caution against proceeding
with such and such a thread, I've tried to be considerate of the person and
doctrinal stance assumed, but I don't know that I've always succeeded.
There have been times too when I have been carried away by my own faith
commitment and made partisan statements which I've later regretted very
much.

I truly appreciate what our List Owner is attempting to do here and I'm
sorry that he has had to explain himself so many times, but it has gotten
through my hard head that his appeal to Evangelicals to assume this role
has the purpose of utilizing the sweet reasonability and unquestionable
commitment of those sympathetic to Evangelical Christians as a moderating
influence against the peril of misuse of the list to promote a doctrinal
stance or to harangue against another doctrinal stance. While I didn't
understand that at first, I do now,and I have no quarrel with it.

I would urge, therefore, that we give our full consent to Mr. Marotta's
proposal and express our confidence in his good judgment. I for one am very
happy to see a formal mechanism for guarding the list against abuse and the
legitimization of persons authorized to assume that role.

Sincerely, cwc

(314) 935-4018