New Synoptic List

From: Brian E. Wilson (brian@twonh.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 18 1997 - 03:15:34 EST

Mark Goodacre wrote SNIP :

>I am currently looking into the possibility of getting a new list
>going on the study of the synoptic problem.....
>There are members of this list who would clearly be interested in
>a synoptic list..... and who feel that b-greek
>is not the right place to engage in such a discussion.....
>I am putting this feeler out to see what others think, and in
>particular to ask whether there are any ideas about the kind of shape
>such a list could take.

I would suggest that such a new synoptic list would succeed only if at
the outset, and also at frequent intervals afterwards, it was made very
clear that the purpose of the new list would be to discuss the synoptic
problem, and not merely to engage in discussion of the synoptic gospels.
B-greek is well-established in discussion of the synoptic gospels, and a
new list would not be needed for that, and would probably fold up fairly
quickly if it tried to compete with b-Greek on it.

A new synoptic list would have to be distinctive to succeed, and
explicitly concentrating on the synoptic problem might be the magnet to
draw support from all over the world.

A suitable name for the list might help. What about ** SP-angle ** ?
Or ** SP-ark ** ? Or ** SP-here ** ? Or ** SP-read ** ? Or **
SP-ring ** ? Or ** SP-speak ** ? A really catchy name which indicates
the list's purpose would do more to keep it in contributors' minds and
stimulate interest than almost anything else.
BRIAN WILSON