Re: Further Greek Studies

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Fri Dec 19 1997 - 10:05:36 EST

At 09:20 AM 12/19/97 -0500, Theodore H. Mann wrote:

> I hope you will be forgiving if the following is inappropriate. I'm a
>new subscriber, and a little uncertain as to exactly what kinds of
>submissions are considered acceptable. My intention is to "tune in" and
>learn from you all, without getting in the way.

This is certainly an acceptable question. In general, questions about
learning Greek or about Greek texts are welcome here. The kind of post that
"gets in the way" is usually a strongly opinionated post, without a
question. Those who don't know much have never been a problem here; those
who claim to know much have.

> Although I intend to take a battery of courses in New Testament Greek
>when I retire (one or two years to go), thus far I am self-taught. I
>have worked my way through Wenham, Machen (twice) and Mounce, and am now
>reading a couple of books on linguistics and syntax.

If you worked your way through those textbooks with good understanding,
then you may well be past the raw beginner stage. Are you able to read
simple NT texts, e.g. John?

> Can anyone suggest further studies (books, computer programs,
>websites, etc.) that will help me develop the necessary skills needed to
>do basic translation? I would be particularly interested in some kind of
>study system specifically designed to help students remember paradigms,
>rules of grammar, etc.

In my signature, you will find the URLs of two web sites that may be
helpful to you. The "Little Greeek Home Page" lists books, resources, and
web sites that are useful for those learning NT Greek. "Little Greek 101"
is an interactive Greek tutorial. It takes a different approach than most
tutorials, using auditory feedback and real NT texts to teach people to
speak and write Greek, not just to read it. In each section, a Java
flashcard applet is used to teach the paradigms, then NT passages are
presented with some of the Greek words missing. The student is to supply
the missing words. I try to do this in a framework which makes it possible
for an average student to do this without too much difficulty, and I
provide the answers in a sound recording for each passage. I have finished
only the first 5 lessons, and am adding about a lesson a month. You can
register to be notified whenever I add a lesson.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons