Re: Re: Genitives in 1 Peter 3:3

From: Revcraigh (Revcraigh@aol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 24 1997 - 12:21:01 EST

>I'm writing not to correct Rev. Craig, but to suggest a slightly different
>way of understanding TRIXWN
>XRUSIWN ,hIMATIWN: I might call them objective genitives, because they
>represent the objects of the verbal notion in the nouns EMPLOKHS
>PERIQESEWS ENDUSEWS. That is, what do you plait? Hair. and so on.

This is quite correct. I worded my reply badly. When I wrote:

<<<Next we take the genitives of which you ask: EMPLOKHS TRIXWN KAI PERIQESEWS
XRUSIWN H ENDUSEWS hIMATIWN. As I say, I see these as appositive genitives or
genitives of content (see Blass, Debrunner, Funk section 167, p. 92 for an
explanation).>>>

I did not mean to apply the appositive genitive tag to TRIXWN, XRUSIWN or
hIMATIWN but only to EMPLOKHS, PERIQESEWS and ENDUSEWS as I stated toward the
top of my post:

<<<I believe these genitives (EMPLOKHS, PERIQESEWS, and ENDUSEWS) are
genitives
of content or apposition describing those things of which a woman's adornment
ought not to consist.>>>

Sorry for the confusion.

May the contemplation of the incarnation of the Son of God made flesh instill
in you steadfast faith, lasting joy, unshakeable peace, and sure hope of
heavenly splendor.

Rev. Craig R. Harmon.

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me."