Re: New Testament ues of the Ood

From: David B. Gowler (dgowler@micah.chowan.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 06 1998 - 14:02:36 EST

Jack Vogt wrote:
> . . . My question is how
> close does the wording have to be for it to be a quote and how distant can
> the form be before it should be called an echo?

Of course Hays's book is an excellent resource (and Robert Brawley's
recent book on Luke and intertextuality would be helpful -- I read it
and reviewed it for CBQ, but I can't recall the name right now!), but
the best work I have seen in this specific area is in Vernon Robbins's
two recent books: _The Tapestry of Early Christian Discourse_ and
_Exploring the Texture of Texts_.

His work on the "intertexture" is very good. The categories include
such items as "recitation," etc., and he illustrates how much difference
it makes whether something is "recited," "alluded to," and so forth.
The _Tapestry_ book also includes a critique of Hays's work, which may
be helpful as well

Best wishes,

David Gowler
Chowan College