New Testament ues of the Ood

From: Jack Vogt (jvogt@dawson.net)
Date: Tue Jan 06 1998 - 00:52:35 EST

        I was wondering if someone could help me out in how to determine when the
New Testament quotes the Old. I am writing a masters thesis on what the
name is in Phil 2:9-11 that has been given to Jesus.
        I found an interesting statemant in D.C. Carson's Phillippians commentary
"Basics for Believers," page 47. He first says that Paul has Isaiah 42:8 in
mind and echoes the statemant "I am the Lord; that is my name!" In the
next paragraph he says that Phil has qouted Isaiah 42:8. My question is how
close does the wording have to be for it to be a quote and how distant can
the form be before it should be called an echo?
        The other question that I have is whether Carson is right in his
assessment that this is a quote or even an echo?
Wishing you the best:
Jack Vogt