Matthew 28:19

From: Scott Schreiber (scottws@stratos.net)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 11:38:31 EST

Hello,

Does anyone have any insight they can give me as to why common modern
english Bible translations translate MAQHTEUSATE (do I have that
right...matheteusate) in Matthew 28:19 as "make disciples" when a more
clear translation might be "disciple" or "teach" or "instruct." Or is that
not more clear? I understand MAQHTEUW (matheteuo?) from Vine's Expository
Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words to be a verb. I am assuming that
MAQHTEUSATE is a form of the same, but due to my new-ness I don't know if
I'm missing something in this form of the word...

Thanks,
Scott Schreiber
scottws@stratos.net