Re: Matthew 28:19

From: CWestf5155 (CWestf5155@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 14:40:42 EST

From: CWestf5155 <CWestf5155@aol.com>
To: scottws@stratos.net
Subject: Re: Matthew 28:19
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:39:27 EST

Dear Scott,

> I took the verb "disciple" to mean to affect this
> intense transformation through specific, detailed instruction, which would
> include as part of it, the baptism and teaching mentioned by Jesus in the
> next phrase. Would you agree?

Though this is a little off the subject of your concern (the relationship
between instruction and baptism), I would like to see the meaning of the verb
"disciple" expanded beyond "specific, detailed instruction" including baptism
and teaching. This might be taken as reflecting a modern orientation towards
truth and faith as proposition alone. I think that the verb disciple equally
included intense relationship, modelling (imitation) and hands-on experience
(such as sending out the seventy-two), as I think was included in Carl's
initial definition.

Cindy Westfall
PhD Student, Roehampton