Re: Matthew 28:19

From: Denny A Diehl (dd-1@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 15:03:07 EST

Carl, Denny Diehl here

>You're quite right: MAQHTEUW is indeed a verb,
>perspectives on learning and the authority of the teacher and the
>distinct status of the apprentice who sits at the feet of the rabbi,
>the notion of "make disciples" means considerable more than "turn
>them into Christians"--it means "transform them into intense students
>of what Jesus said and deed who will not only transmit the rabbi's lore
>but also act it out in their lives."

It seems to me that Lk 6:40 would be appropriate here:

        "A pupil (MAQHTHS) is not above his teacher; but everyone,
        after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher."

It seems the role of "discipling" was one of transforming the life of the
individual student (disciple) into a life compatible with that of the
teacher's, thus to become like Christ. I believe Paul stated it well in

        "My children, with whom I am again in labor until Christ
        is formed in you--" -Gal 4:19

Denny A Diehl ( dd-1@Juno.com )
2030 Murray St ( 316 - 729 - 9610 )
Wichita KS 67212