Re: ALHQEIA

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Sat Jan 24 1998 - 11:22:47 EST

At 11:04 AM 1/24/98 -0500, you wrote:
>B-Greekers:
>
>I have a translation of the NT [ Recovery Version: Living Stream Ministry
>in Anaheim, CA ] that consistently translates the term ALHQEIA in the
>gospels as "reality" (although I have not checked every instance. For
>example, John 1:14...."glory as of the only Begotten of the Father, full
>of grace and reality." Is there any justification for this? Thanks in
>advance.
>
> Ted

Reality is not really a good term; the Greek word implies "authenticity"
rather than a philosophical idea (as is, I think, implied by "real" or
"reality").
Thus, an appropriate way to render the word is "truthfulness, reliability,
authentic, etc.

Further, the idea of a "recovery" translation clearly suggests that the
"translators" have a particular agenda- which is not always (ever) a good
way to do translation!!

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD