Re: MOICHEUOMENH

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Mon Jan 26 1998 - 13:44:27 EST

At 11:43 AM 1/26/98 -0600, you wrote:

>This is true, and by no means insignificant, but it ignores the context of
>the passage that's being asked about as well as the fact that the
>participle is in the present tense: The woman has been caught actively
>engaging in adultery (KATEILHPTAI EP' AUTOFWRWi MOICEUMENH). It's not a
>matter of the woman being cited--in fact, the passage tells what those who
>bring the woman to Jesus are saying to him as they prepare to stone her. In
>8:3 it's AGOUSIN ... GUNAIKA EPI MOICEIAi KATEILHMMENHN, but 8:4 with the
>present participle MOICEUOMENH puts her in the act when caught, not just in
>the act of being divorced by her husband.
>
>Carl W. Conrad

But thats my point. She has to live somehow- and her only means of doing so
is finding a man who will support her. She will do what has to be done in
order to survive.
I am not denying that she is actively involved in sex; she is. But she is
because she has to to survive.
By the way, wheres the man in the story who is committing adultery with her?
The whole move is a ploy to trap Jesus- those Pharisees dont care about
adultery or adulterers!

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD