MOICHEUOMENH

From: F. Holly Mitchell (mitchell@dobson.ozarks.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 27 1998 - 18:31:44 EST

Dear George,

I'm sending this privately since we're now discussing the Hebrew more than
the Greek. Plus the fact that Hebrew is *really* over my head, and I hate
to publicly flaunt my ignorance. :-)

> Yes, you are right and I have made a terrible booboo. There is nothing
> about adultery in the Phineas-Zimri-Cozbi incident in Numbers. I just
> got carried away with the adultery discussion on the list and wrongly
> created my own little apocryphal version of the story. Sorry. Yes, it is
> all about compromising the purity of the people of Israel and their
> faith.

Now, in visualizing the scene, I have no doubt that Zimri & Cozbi were,
um, coupled when one spear was driven through both bodies. Yuck!!

> What does the Hebrew say about the where the incident took place? ...
> There are a few problems.

No kidding!! I was thinking that bringing her to his family/brother/tent,
was acknowledging her as part of his household, (i.e., "As for me & my
house, we will serve the LORD"). But I would have thought of that as part
of the broad meaning of the word 'beth', which I guess isn't being used
here at all.

> Also, my textual notes (BHS) state that the expression *to his brethren*
> ('EL 'AXIYW) could also be rendered *to his tent* ('EL 'AHoLO). It
> gives Gen 32:15 as a precedent in which the same may happen. The notes
> give no other textual evidence, though.

Well, Gesenius tells me that "with regard to the tabernacle, when
distinguished from MSBG 'AHoLO is the outer covering of the tent"
(actually, AHL is all I can decipher, but it sure looks like the same
word). This sounds like a fairly large, public, and visible place.

> The MT then states that Moses and the Israelites were weeping at the
> entrance to the Tent of Meeting (PETAX 'oHEL MO`ED). Verse 8 then says
> that Phineas followed the man into *the* QuBBAH (a large vaulted tent),
> distinguishing it from the Tent of Meeting. Whose tent this was is not
> made clear. Did it belong to the Israelite (Zimri) or the Midianite
> (Cozbi)? Did it belong to the Moabites who seduced the Israelites to be
> joined with the Baal of Peor (considering the context)? The word QuBBAH
> has an Arabic cognate also meaning a large, vaulted tent, or a dome, but
> especially a tent of honour. Since Zimri was a clan leader, he may well
> have lived in a QuBBAH. However, later Aramaic used it to refer to the
> heavens as a vault. Was this symbolic of the dwelling place of the Baal
> of Peor and referent of a Baal tabernacle (NB Baal was often called the
> Rider of the Clouds, and is naturally associated with the heavens)?

I'm still confused George. Gesenius would translate this as 'tent' or
bedchamber' which very much fits the context, but does not seem to fit the
description above. (It *does* mention the word 'vault', but it sounds
like a small one, from which the word 'alcove' is derived). In fact,
'AHoLO sounds more like a large, vaulted tent likely to belong to either
Zimri or a group of Moabites.

> I wish I could say, "I hope this clears things up," but I obviously
> can't. Oh well.....

Actually, I'm wondering if Gesenius is not the best tool for me to be
using. What would you recommend? (Preferably something very cheap!)

Thanks for your help!
God Bless,
Ginger Ferguson
Univ. of the Ozarks