Re: Silly Greek Questions?

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Fri Apr 03 1998 - 12:24:46 EST

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998 17:49:34 +1000 McKay family <music@fl.net.au> writes:
>O.K. I have a silly Greek question.
>
>Has this verse been discussed before?
>Luke 23:43
>KAI EIPEN AUTWi, AMHN SOI LEGW, SHMERON MET' EMOU ESHi EN TWi
>PARADEISWi.
>
>This is the way it is written in my Greek NT. [O.K. Uses a much
>better-looking font!]
>
>Is it equally legitimate to put the comma after SHMERON, or is this
>usual break up more likely to be correct?
>
>I hope it is kosher for me to say that the people who want the comma
>after SHMERON, seem to have theological, not grammatical reasons.

What would be the sense if a comma goes after SHMERON? "Truly I say to
you today, you shall be with Me in paradise." This seems to suggest that
tomorrow, or the next day, He may say something else about it. Not
exactly an encouraging interpretation of the words for the dying thief.
Besides, this punctuation would render SHMERON superfluous. Of course
Christ was saying these words that day. When else would He be saying
them?

No, it makes excellent sense with the comma before SHMERON. It makes
SHMERON non-superfluous and critical. Christ's words are for
encouragement - today you shall be with Me in paradice.

I was not aware anybody was putting the comma after the SHMERON. If so,
then I would tend to agree with your suspicions.

Paul Dixon

Paul Dixon

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]