Re: Silly Greek Questions?

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Fri Apr 03 1998 - 09:09:57 EST

At 11:07 PM 4/3/98 +1000, you wrote:

>But punctuation is used to show how we are to read the original. Not many
>people would want to read a NT that looks like this:
>KAIEIPENAUTWiAMHNSOILEGWSHMERONMETEMOUESHiENTWiPARADEISWi

Indeed! ANd the moment we surrender our minds without question to some
editor we cease being scholars and become clones. I did not mean to suggest
(Carl) that punctuation is unnecessary. I merely meant that we should take
it with the proper grain of salt if we wish to do work in this field and not
be led around by the nose.

>While punctuation is interpretive, so is translation. Surely punctuation is
>essential. And some punctuations may reflect the true meaning of the
>original, whereas others may obscure it.

Indeed! But who decides? You, me? Some distant editor who may or may not
have an axe to grind? That was my point.

>My question is whether there is more than one way to see this verse or not.

Absolutely!!!!

>Anybody could bung in commas and full stops, or leave them out to show a
>possible meaning. But what is likely to be the author's intended meaning?

Not necessarily- so think for yourself and decide. Who knows, you may be
right while all your forebears have been wrong.

>Also, I am asking, Is there a grammatical reason to put the comma in one
>place or another?

Not here there isn't.

>Best wishes
>David McKay