Romans 3:23

From: Stevens, Charles C (Charles.Stevens@unisys.com)
Date: Fri Apr 03 1998 - 14:00:25 EST

TR: PANTES GAR hHMARTON KAI hUSTEROUNTAI TIS DOCHS TOU QEOU
KJV: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God

My question relates to the proper translation of the verbs hHMARTON and
hUSTEROUNTAI. I read hHMARTON as second aorist and hUSTEROUNTAI as
present. And I'm trying to figure out exactly what Paul's trying to get
at by using these different aspects with the same subject in the same
sentence.

What's going on with what seems to me to be a contrast between the
aspects of these two verbs, and what conclusions might legitimately be
drawn from that contrast?

    -Chuck Stevens [SMTP: Charles.Stevens@unisys.com]