Re: Jn.3:8 PNEUMA, PNEI, FONHN

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Sat Jul 04 1998 - 08:47:43 EDT

At 08:16 AM 7/4/98 -0400, you wrote:
>John 3:8 is commonly translated
>"The wind blows where it wills and the sound of it you hear ..."
>But it is commonly commented that the passage should read,
>"The Spirit breaths where it wills and the voice of it you hear..."
>The commentators provide justification for the latter. What defence can be
>given for the common translation? and What translation began to make this
>distinction?

This ambiguity arises because pneuma means both wind and spirit- like its
Hebrew counterpart ruach.

John, in my opinion, intends the ambiguity to remain. Just as in 3:16 where
we have anothen, which means "again" and "from above".

Thus, commentators and translators generally have to make a choice, but such
a choice is usually determined by their theological disposition.

p.s.- on the Florida fires- I think its Pat Robertson's fault.
Be well, and pray for rain.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD