Re: Rom. 1:4 EN DUNAMEI adverbial or adjectival

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Mon Jul 13 1998 - 15:22:19 EDT

At 09:29 AM 7/13/98 -0700, dalmatia@eburg.com wrote:
>Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>
>> (1) Paul's interpretation of the phrase which he cites from Hab 2:4 as hO
>> DE DIKAIOS EK PISTEWS ZHSETAI--and which I think ought properly to be
>> construed by taking EK PISTEWS with ZHSETAI--certainly appears to be
>> understood by Paul in Rom 1:17ff in such a way that EK PISTEWS functions
>> adjectivally with hO DIKAIOS.
>
>When a modifier lies between two terms like this [here between the
>subject and the verb], I have always taken it to 'distribute' to
>[modify] both, unless otherwise contraindicated. Why does it have to
>be one or the other?

Are you saying that hO DE DIKAIOS EK PISTEWS ZHSETAI means "those who are
righteous by faith shall live by faith"? Can you give examples of other
places where this kind of construction should be translated this way?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons