PROSWPON as Person - 2 Cor 1:11 and Heb 9:24

From: Williams, Wes (Wes.Williams@echostar.com)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 13:20:17 EDT

I want to test the waters before submitting a translation decision, so your
feedback is welcome.

Would anyone rightly object to a translation of "people" or "persons" for
PROSWPWN (faces) at 2 Cor 1:11 and PROSWPWi ("person") at Heb 9:24?

I choose "people" for PROSWPWN at 2 Cor 1:11 by synecdoche since "faces" do
not supplicate, people do. Therefore, by synecdoche (figurative extension of
meaning), PROSWPWN appears to legitimately refer to the English gloss
"persons" in this context. This is also noted by BAGD - PROSWPON - 2
"Person."

Also, as G. Friedrich, TDNT 6 [Eerdmans] observes:
"The use of PROSWPON in the N[ew] T[estament]
follows closely that of the LXX . . . and the word has
the same range of meaning as in the OT.... The
sense "person" occurs in the NT at 2C. 1:11. The
Corinthians are to join the apostle in prayer in order
that "thanks may be given for us by many persons"
(EK POLLWN PROSWPWN)" (ibid., 775, 778).

Of course, this is a common expression from the LXX, where expressions
ranging from Pharoah "The day you see my face (or, me - TO PROSWPON) you
will die" (Ex 10:28) to YHWH "for no man will see my face and will live."
(Ex 33:20)

I see no meaningful idiomatic alternative to "person" for PROSWPON at 2 Cor
1:11. If it is left "many", this encourages the question, many WHAT?

At Hebrews 9:24, most English translations translate the
anthropomorphological EMFANISQHNAI TWi PROSWPWi TOU QEOU as "he appeared in
the presence of God" rather than "he appeared before the person of God". I
value trying to be consistent in translation and opt for the latter rather
than the former.

The counterargument runs along lexical lines, something like: 'I object
because the word "person" is not used in the bible and therefore a
translator should not use it.' However, I do not believe this argument is
accurate since PROSWPON does carry this sense via the Hebrew idiom and the
synecdoche reflected in the idiom.

Sincerely,
Wes Williams