Re: Matt. 12:32

From: Trevor M Peterson (spedrson@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jul 22 1998 - 12:37:51 EDT

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 05:34:53 -0700 (PDT) Edgar Foster
<questioning1@yahoo.com> writes:

[snipped]

>Is it syntactically possible to paraphrase the text,
>
>"whoever blasphemes the Holy Spirit, either in this age or in the
>coming one, will never be forgiven."
>
>Does this deep structure rendition do extreme violence to the syntax
>of Matt. 12:32?

I'm only just beginning to get involved with issues of deep structure, so
I'll be interested to see what others have to say, but I would raise a
couple points:

1) In this context, I think the DE has to carry enough force to make it
worthwhile to include. Now, maybe you mean for your paraphrase to be
standing alone in isolation, but I think the contrast is vital to the
flow.

2) Also, I'm not quite sure, even from a deep structure perspective, why
you would tie OUTE EN TOUTWi TWi AIWNI OUTE EN TWi MELLONTI to EIPON
rather than AFIHMI. It seems fairly self-evident to me that the latter
connection does more justice to the future tense of AFIHMI and to the
word order.

I don't see too much problem with substituting "blaspheme" for EIPHi
KATA, but again, some of that depends on whether the paraphrase is
intended to be incorporated into the context or not. It would seem
misleading to render it as "blaspheme," unless you have some way of
distinguishing that from BLASFHMIA in v. 31. But maybe I'm being too
wooden for a deep structure approach?

Trevor Peterson
Bible/Theology Department
Washington Bible College