Re: Mark 4:30 EN TINI AUTHN PARABOLHi *QWMEN*

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Sun Jul 26 1998 - 11:46:14 EDT

At 10:37 AM 7/26/98, Carl Conrad wrote:

>This is what's generally called a "deliberative" subjunctive; it may take a
>first-person singular form, but it quite frequently has a rhetorical force
>and does go, as in this instance, into the first-plural, assuming a sort of
>classroom (or courtroom?) setting of a discussion in which the speaker and
>his audience are participating together. The examples that come most
>readily to my mind and in Paul's rhetorical argumentation in Romans, e.g.
>Rom 6:1, TI OUN EROUMEN? EPIMENWMEN THi hAMARTIAi, hINA hH CARIS PLEONASHi?
>or Rom 6:15, TI OUN? hAMARTHSWMEN, hOTI OUK ESMEN hUPO NOMON ALLA hUPO
>CARIN?

And the distinction between the aspect of the present tense for EPIMENWMEN
and the aorist for hAMARTHSWMEN is the same distinction that is drawn for
present tense and aorist imperatives, then? EPIMENWMEN is present tense
because it is imperfective aspect (remaining in sin), and hAMARTHSWMEN is
aorist because it is perfective aspect (sinning as an act)? Shall we
interpret it thus?

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research