RE: 1 Corinthians 7:27, 28

From: Mr. Lemuel G. Abarte (lemuel@bcd.weblinq.com)
Date: Wed Aug 05 1998 - 20:04:54 EDT

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I placed my reply on the B-Greek Forum, if you may.

What I understand of the Hebrew tradition and Graeco-Roman custom is that divorce is permitted.

Jesus Christ permited divorce on grounds of immorality on the part of the husband (Matthew 19:1-15). What Christ mentioned in Mark 10:1-12 was most likely the case of Herod who had a foreign wife where Graeco-Roman custom permits the wife to divorce her husband.

My research on divorce does show that it is a practice in the time of Paul. I guess the matter in 1 Corinthians 7:27 mean that. If we take the man as having a privilege to divorce his wife whenever he pleases, this is not far-fetched, since that may be what is mentioned in the verse. The last sentence of 1 Corinthians 7:27 does not mean you cannot remarry again. It may mean that you take your time before you could remarry as an option.

Regards.

Lemuel