DIAKRINW (emphasis on 1 Cor 11:31)

From: Paul R. Zellmer (zellmer@cag.pworld.net.ph)
Date: Sat Aug 15 1998 - 04:14:54 EDT

We are working on our understanding of DIAKRINW as found in the New
Testament. One of the options that we are examining is the concept of
balancing the pros and the cons, picking up on "evaluation".

I noticed that 1 Cor 11:31 has both DIAKRINW and KRINW: EI DE EAUTOUS
DIEKRINOMEN, OUK AN EKRINOMEQA.

It appears to me that the KRINW form emphasizes the punishment or
sentencing part of the activity in this passage. However, I realize
that the word in general involves the entire legal activity including
the hearing of the evidence. How far off would we be to allow DIAKRINW
to mean, in general, "through the activity of judging," thus picking up
on the combination with the preposition? As we looked at the other
instances of this word in the New Testament, it appeared like most cases
would allow for the word to refer to the activity of weighing or
balancing out the positives and negatives of an action or case.

I'm willing to grab a towel if we're all wet.

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer@faith.edu.ph