The Adverbial EUQUS in Mark 1:21

From: GregStffrd@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 01 1998 - 21:16:03 EDT

I have some posts I am going to be sending to the board for comment and
discussion. Hopefully it will make things more interesting for everyone.

I thought I would use a more organized format, so that most of the issues are
clear in everyone's mind, and you'll know precisely what I am after.

Mark 1:21 reads: KAI EUQUS TOIS SABBASIN EISELQWN EIS THN
                         SUNAGWGHN EDIDASKEN.

Translation: "Indeed, as soon as it was Sabbath he entered into the synagogue
and started to teach."

Grammatical Notes

Nothing significant for this discussion, but I will mention that B and A read
as above, while aleph* and aleph-copy omit EISELQWN with EDIDASKEN (copy),
EDIDAXEN (*) occurring after SABBASIN, "he taught as he entered [or, on his
way into] the synagogue."

Translation Comparison

RSV - "And immediately on the Sabbath he entered the synagogue and taught."

NIV - "And when the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began to
        teach."

The Problem

RSV translates the adverbial EUQUS as "immediately," but NIV does not
translate it at all. NIV also does not translate EUQUS in Mark 1:10 or 1:30,
but it does translate it in 1:12, 18, 20, 23, 28, 29, 42 and 43. Other
chapters were not considered for this study.

Question: Why do you think NIV ignored EUQUS in Mark 1:21, which seems to add
an element of urgency and importance to Jesus' desire to teach at this time,
and in this place?

Greg Stafford

Grammatical Notes: B and A contain the above text, "