Re: The Adverbial EUQUS in Mark 1:21

From: Steve Long (steve@allegrographics.com)
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 04:44:36 EDT

>The Problem
>
>RSV translates the adverbial EUQUS as "immediately," but NIV does not
>translate it at all. NIV also does not translate EUQUS in Mark 1:10 or 1:30,
>but it does translate it in 1:12, 18, 20, 23, 28, 29, 42 and 43. Other
>chapters were not considered for this study.
>
>Question: Why do you think NIV ignored EUQUS in Mark 1:21, which seems to add
>an element of urgency and importance to Jesus' desire to teach at this time,
>and in this place?

I have always read it as "And then" denoting what happened next (but still
carrying a sense of time). It seems to be a storytelling style of speaking.
>From an English reader's perspective on style it seems a little redundant
and kind of annoying, but perhaps it was an acceptable or fashionable style
in his day.

Another idea, stylistically speaking, the LXX Psalms uses EUQUS frequently
for "upright" or "righteous" ie. "going the straight way" maybe Mark is
doing something similar to his frequent use of hO ODOS. A subtle stylistic
reminder that everything Jesus did was right.

Steve

Steve Long
steve@allegrographics.com
Saint Peters, Missouri