Re: Matt. 6:11

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@ameritech.net)
Date: Sun Nov 01 1998 - 20:15:30 EST

In reference to something I assumed as the springboard from which my
recent questions on Matt. 6:11 arose, yochanan bitan

> >"assuming" . . .
> epiousios is purposefully chosen/coined as a rare coinage "cominglyous" (an
> adjective built on the common participle epiousa [fs])
> we might look for an underlying Hebrew prayer that was idiomatic and
> untranslatable 'word for word' behind this phrase--
> this has led more than one researcher to proverbs 30.8 as a conceptual fit.
> leHem Huqqi "bread of my alotment/right" = NJV "my daily bread"!
> the difficulty of translation to Greek [notice the LXX at prov 30.8] could
> explain why such a strange/unique greek word was developed.
> it is significant that both MT and LK keep this unpredictable Greek word.

Is this, then, not evidence that the EPIOUSION bread referred to in
Matt. 6:11 *is* the manna mentioned in Ex. 16:4, a bread alloted to
Israelites with which they should be satisfied?

In any case, my questions arose because I am trying to answer a question
that John Kloppenborg put to me as to whether my take on what the
"temptation" clause of the LP means can be found anywhere else within
the strata of Q (Q1 in K.'s reckoning) in which the LP is found. And it
struck me that IF the SHMERON referred to in Matt. 6:11 is used in the
same way that SHMERON is used in Ps. 95 and in Heb. 3:1-17 and therefore
meant "now that it is Today", the petition for bread takes on a
resonance it is not normally thought to have. For the SHMERON of Ps. 95
and Heb. 3 is a time of crisis the nature of which makes it imperative
that those of God's elect who experience it not act like the wilderness
generation did and *refuse* to accept the manna. And therefore this
implies that the background of the petition (and the whole of the LP) is
Jesus' awareness that his disciples are at the point of abandoning their
role as "sons" and becoming membres of "this generation". Hence the
emphasis in the petition on "DO give us the EPIOUISION bread". Or at
least, so I think.

This question does not seem to me to be off topic: it goes to the heart
of what the original meaning of the petition was.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

> ---
> B-Greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek