Re: Defn. of textlinguistics

From: Philip Graber (omc01091@mail.wvnet.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 08 1998 - 08:19:29 EST

Mark,

The term "discourse analysis" has been used for a great variety of things,
and the term "textlinguistics" has often been used for ONE of the things
discourse analysis sometimes refers to. In much of the recent literature,
discourse analysis refers to the analysis of verbal exchanges/conversation.
Textlinguistics is much more likely to refer to the study of written,
monological texts. The distinction is far from consistant or hard-and-fast.
Essentially, the term textlinguistics is used in indicate that the object of
linguistic analysis is whole texts rather than isolated sentences or
clauses. The analysis may be grammatical, semantic or pragmatic, but it
will always seek to take into account texts as wholes rather than sentences
in isolation. Bob Longacre, MAK Halliday and Robert de Beaugrande &
Wolfgang Dressler represent different approaches, but all can be referred to
as textlinguists. In my opinion, Halliday's approach (systemic functional
linguistics) is most promising, and you are in a good place to learn it!

Philip Graber
Ronceverte, West Virginia, USA