a most difficult text

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Nov 09 1998 - 14:27:40 EST

There are times when the meaning of a text is more or less clear but the
syntax is not clear at all. This raises some intriguing questions about the
relationship of syntax to semantics, questions which I will not explore in
this post.

Acts 16:13 contains a difficult reading:

hOU ENOMIZOMEN PROSEUCHN EINAI (NA27) (A2 Psi 33 81 bo)

hOU ENOMIZETO PROSEUCH EINAI (Majority Text)

hOU EDOKEI PROSEUCH EINAI (Bezae)

hOU ENOMIZON EN PROSEUCHi EINAI (Blass)

hOU ENOMIZEN PROSEUCHN EINAI (Aleph)

hOU ENOMIZEN PROSEUCH EINAI (p74)

Now this is not a question about which reading is the original. Rather, it is
a question about the syntax of the reading adopted by NA27. Could some one
just explain to me how the following reading can be made syntactically intelligible?

hOU ENOMIZOMEN PROSEUCHN EINAI (NA27) (A2 Psi 33 81 bo)

Thanks.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point