re:Rules

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Dec 09 1998 - 17:13:01 EST

My original problem was an attempt to find a rule which would determine the
subject and the predicate in Acts 17:3b. I looked at the rules as they are
explained in Richard Young (pages 64-65) and Porter's Idioms (page 109) and
tried to fit the rules to Meyer's analysis of the passage:

Subject: IHSOUS
Predicate: hOUTOS hO CRISTOS

The more I looked at the rules and the more I tried to fit them to Meyer's
analysis the more I concluded that either Meyer or the Rules had to be wrong.
I then posted my first comment on this which was just a sigh of despair, not
really a question.

Not wanting to throw in the towel I reviewed the question again and discovered
that in the Analytical NT (Friberg, 1981) the punctuation of this passage was
different than in my working copy. I discovered that this punctuation
discrepancy was the difference between the 1975 and the 1983 edition of UBS3.

Acts 17:3b

...KAI hOTI hOUTOS ESTIN hO CRISTOS [hO] IHSOUS hON . . .
(UBS3 1983 corrected, NA26/27)

...KAI hOTI hOUTOS ESTIN hO CRISTOS, [hO] IHSOUS, hON . . .

(UBS3 1975)

...KAI hOTI hOUTOS ESTIN hO CRISTOS, IHSOUS, hON . . .

(Hodges/Farstad)

Clearly there is some disagreement about how to place the commas in the
vicinity of IHSOUS.

The second item I noticed in Analytical NT was that the Friberg's tagged the
demonstrative hOUTOS as <APDNMZS>. The key issue here is the P which using
the Friberg scheme means that the demonstrative is substantial and not
attributive. Those of you who are familiar with the Friberg tags can correct
me on this if I got it wrong.

Anyway, the combination of the the Friberg tag and the commas suggested a
scanning of this passage which is simple and accords with the "Rules" for
determining the subject and predicate with an equative verb.