Rules

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 16:47:43 EST

In Acts 17:3 we encounter:

KAI hOTI hOUTOS EISTIN hO CRISTOS [hO] IHSOUS
hON EGW KATAGGELLW hUMIN

The text here is uncertain in regard to the two occurrences of hO. H.A.W.
Meyer, one of my favorite Dead White German Males, rejects the second [hO]
without comment. He then states that the subject of EISTIN is IHSOUS hON EGW
KATAGGELLW hUMIN and that hOUTOS hO CRISTOS is the object of EISTIN.

I suspect that there is a connection between the rejection of the second [hO]
and Meyer's analysis of the syntax. Some rule formulated by someone hundreds
of years ago probably covers this case. I even suspect that someone on this
list probably studied this rule at some time or even wrote their dissertation
on it.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point