Re: Hosea 6:7 and Mt 9:13; 12:7

From: David Haeuser (haeuser@mail.cosapidata.com.pe)
Date: Sun Jan 03 1999 - 19:46:19 EST

Dear Denny,

What Jesus states is simply a quite literal translation of the Hebrew text
of Hosea. As far as whether a condemnation of sacrifice is intended, you
might compare with Psalm 51:16-19 (Hebrew 18-21). Mere outward performances
are not pleasing to God, but when the same action is done by a person of
contrite heart, those actions will be pleasing. It is this matter of the
state of the heart which makes the Hosea quote, which also refers to a
situation of impenitence masquerading as piety, so appropriate for Jesus to
apply to the pharisees in the two passages indicated.

David Haeuser
Lima, Peru